- Range Matters: Rural Averages Can Conceal Important Information (January 2018). Clawar M, Thompson K, Pink G. FB 143.
- Access to Care: Populations in Counties with No FQHC, RHC, or Acute Care Hospital (January 2018). Clawar M, Randolph R, Thompson K, Pink G. FB 142.
- Characteristics of Communities Served by Hospitals at High Risk of Financial Distress (December 2017). Richman EC, Pink, GH. FB 141.
- Differences in Community Characteristics of Sole Community Hospitals (November 2017). Thomas SR, Holmes GM, Pink GH. FB 140.
- Rural-Urban Variations in Medicare Live Discharge Patterns from Hospice, 2012-2013 (September 2017). Dolin R, Kirk D, Holmes GM. FB 139.
- Regional Differences in Rural and Urban Mortality Trends (August 2017). Hoffman A, Holmes GM. FB 138.
- Number of Rural and Urban Hospitals in the U.S. (August 2017).
- GM Holmes, BG Kaufman and GH Pink. Predicting Financial Distress in Rural Hospitals, Journal of Rural Health, Summer 2017;33(3):239-249
- The Financial Importance of Medicare Post-Acute and Hospice Care to Rural Hospitals (July 2017). Schulte A, Howard HA, Pink, GH. FB 137.
- CMS Hospital Quality Star Rating: for 762 Rural Hospitals, No Stars Is the Problem (June 2017). Thompson KT, Randolph RK, Reiter KL, Pink GH, Holmes GM. FB 136.
- Rural Health Snapshot 2017 (May 2017).
- RG Whitaker, GM Holmes, and GH Pink. Has the Affordable Care Act’s Medicare Low Volume Hospital Adjustment Improved the Financial Performance of Qualifying Rural Hospitals? Journal of Rural Health, Spring 2017;33(2):227-233.
- Sharita R. Thomas, George M. Holmes, George H. Pink. To What Extent do Community Characteristics Explain Differences in Closure among Financially Distressed Rural Hospitals? Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved Nov 2016 Supplement;(27,4):194-203.
- The Financial Importance of the Sole Community Hospital Payment Designation (November 2016) Thomas SR, Randolph R, Holmes GM, Pink GH. FB 135.
- The Impact of the Low Volume Hospital (LVH) Program on the Viability of Small, Rural Hospitals (October 2016) Whitaker RG, Pink GH, Holmes GM. FB 134.
- Trends in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals (October 2016) Kaufman BG, Randolph R, Pink G, Holmes M. FB 133.
- Kaufman BG, Reiter KL, Pink GH, Holmes GM. Medicaid Expansion Affects Rural and Urban Hospitals Differently. Health Affairs September 2016;35:1665-1672.
- Characteristics of Medicaid Beneficiaries Who Use Rural Health Clinics (May 2016) Domino M, Tyree S, Rutledge R, Randolph R, Pink G, Holmes M. FB 132.
- Identifying Rural Health Clinics in Medicaid Data (May 2016) Domino M, Tyree S, Rutledge R, Holmes M. FB 131.
- Does ACA Insurance Coverage Expansion Improve the Financial Performance of Rural Hospitals? (April 2016) Thompson K, Reiter K, Whitaker R, Thomas S. FB 130.
- 2012-14 Profitability of Urban and Rural Hospitals by Medicare Payment Classification (March 2016) Thomas S, Holmes M, Pink G. FB 128.
- Geographic Variation in the Profitability of Urban and Rural Hospitals (March 2016) Thomas S, Pink G, Holmes M. FB 129.
- Geographic Variation in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals (January 2016) Kaufman B, Rutledge R, Pink G, Holmes M. FB 127.
- Prediction of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals (January 2016) Kaufman B, Pink G, Holmes M. FB 126.
- Kaufman BG, Thomas SR, Randolph RK, Perry JR, Thompson KW, Holmes GM, and Pink GH. The rising rate of rural hospital closures. Journal of Rural Health 2016;32(1):35-43.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals (March 2016). Cartographic.
- Estimated Costs of Rural Freestanding Emergency Departments (November 2015) Williams JD, Song PH, Pink GH. FB 125.
- Noles M, Reiter K, Boortz-Marx J, Pink G. Rural Hospital Mergers & Acquisitions: Which hospitals are being acquired and how are they performing afterwards? Journal of Healthcare and Management, 2015 Nov-Dec;60(6):395-407.
- Reiter K. Uncompensated care burden may mean financial vulnerability for rural hospitals in states that did not expand Medicaid. Health Affairs October 2015;34(10):1721-1729.
- Estimating Eligibility and Uptake of Federally Facilitated Marketplace Insurance in North Carolina in the Second Open Enrollment Period (October 2015) Rutledge R, Holmes M, Silberman P. FB 124.
- Toth M, Holmes M, Van Houtven C, Toles M, Weinberger M, Silberman P. 2015. Rural Medicare beneficiaries have fewer follow-up visits and greater emergency department use post-discharge. Medical Care 53(9):800–808.
- Holmes G. 2015. Capsule Commentary for Tsilimingras et al., Post-discharge adverse events among urban and rural patients of an urban community hospital: A prospective cohort study. Journal of General Internal Medicine 30(8):1190.
- Karim S, Holmes M, Pink G. 2015. The effect of surgery on the profitability of rural hospitals. Journal of Health Care Finance. Spring.
- Casey M, Moscovice I, Holmes M, Pink G, Hung P. 2015. Minimum-distance requirements could harm high-performing Critical-Access Hospitals and rural communities. Health Affairs 34(4):627-635.
- Geissler KH, Holmes GM. 2015. Emergency Department use in the US-Mexico border region and violence in Mexico: Is there a relationship? Journal of Rural Health 31(1):316-25.
- Holmes M. 2015. Financially fragile rural hospitals: Mergers and closures. NC Medical Journal 76(1):37-40.
- A Comparison of Closed Rural Hospitals and Perceived Impact (April 2015) Thomas SR, Kaufman BG, Randolph RK, Thompson KW, Perry JR, Pink GH. FB123.
- A Critique of the Office of the Inspector General’s Report on Swing Beds in Critical Access Hospitals (March 2015) Reiter K and Holmes M. FB 122.
- The 21st Century Rural Hospital: A Chart Book (March 2015) Freeman V, Thompson K, Howard HA, Randolph R, Holmes M.
- Rural Provider Perceptions of the ACA: Case Studies in Four States (February 2015) Kaufman, B; Silberman, P; Holmes, M. FB121.
- Do Current Medicare Rural Hospital Payment Systems Align with Cost Determinants? (February 2015) Moss K, Holmes M, Pink G. FB120.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals (December 2015). Cartographic.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals. (June 2015). Cartographic.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals. (April 2015). Cartographic.
- Rural-Urban Differences in Continuity of Care among Medicare Beneficiaries (December 2014) Toth M, Quach C, Holmes M. FB119.
- Best Practices for Health Insurance Marketplace Outreach and Enrollment in Rural Areas (December 2014) Silberman P, Thomas S, Kaufman B, Perry J, Holmes M. FS01
- Geographic Variation in Plan Uptake in the Federally Facilitated Marketplace (September 2014) Holmes M, Silberman P, Thompson K, Freeman V, Randolph R. FB118.
- Rural Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions: Who Is Being Acquired and What Happens Afterward? (August 2014) Noles M, Reiter KL, Pink GH, Holmes GM. FB117.
- How Does Medicaid Expansion Affect Insurance Coverage of Rural Populations? (July 2014) Thompson K, Kaufman B, Holmes M. FB116.
- Safety Net Clinics Serving the Elderly in Rural Areas: Rural Health Clinic Patients Compared to Federally Qualified Health Center Patients. (May, 2014) Radford A, Freeman V, Kirk D, Howard A, Holmes GM. FB115.
- Discharge to Swing Bed or Skilled Nursing Facility: Who Goes Where? (February, 2014) Freeman V, Randolph R, Holmes GM. FB11.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals. (June 2014). Cartographic.
- Location of Critical Access Hospitals. (February 2014). Cartographic.
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement. (December 2013). Holmes GM, Pink G. FB112.
- Implications for Beneficiary Travel Time if Financially-Vulnerable Critical Access Hospitals Close. (December 2013). Freeman V, Randolph R, Pink G, Holmes GM. FB111.
- NC Rural Health Research Program December 2013 Newsletter
- Rural/Urban Differences in Inpatient Related Costs and Use Among Medicare Beneficiaries. (December 2013). Toth M, Holmes GM, Freeman V, Pink G. FB113.
- Using “Plasticity” to Model a Community’s Need for Health Care Services. (November 2013). Beavers L. Post
- Geographic Variation in the Profitability of Critical Access Hospitals. (September 2013). Pink G, Freeman V, Randolph R, Holmes GM. FB110.
- Provision of Uncompensated Care by Rural Hospitals: A Preliminary Look at Medicare Cost Report Worksheet S-10. (August 2013). WP-
- Profitability of Rural Hospitals. (August 2013). Pink G, Freeman V, Randolph R, Holmes GM. FB109.
- Profile of Rural Health Clinics: Clinic & Medicare Patient Characteristics (March 2013). Radford A, Kirk D, Howard, A, Holmes GM. FB108.
- Reiter KL, Holmes GM, Broyles I. Medicare, swing beds, and Critical Access Hospitals. Medical Care Research and Review 2013;70(2):206-17.
- Profile of Rural Health Clinics: Medicare Payments & Common Diagnoses (December 2012). Radford D, Kirk D, Howard HA. FB107.
- Flux in Loan Repayment Programs for Healthcare Professionals With States’ Budget Cuts and National Health Service Corps Budget Increases (May 2012). Pathman D, Goldberg L, Konrad T, Kerwin K, Morgan J. FB106.
- Why Use Swing Beds? Conversations with Hospital Administrators and Staff (April 2012). Freeman V, Radford A. FB105.
- Communities Served by Rural Medicare Dependent Hospitals (March 2012). Reiter K, Holmes GM, Karim S, Pink GH. FB104.
- Holmes GM, Pink GH. Adoption and perceived effectiveness of financial improvement strategies in Critical Access Hospitals. The Journal of Rural Health 2012;28 (1):92-100. A108.
- Kirk MA, Holmes GM, Pink GH. Achieving benchmark financial performance in Critical Access Hospitals: Lessons from high performers. Healthcare Financial Management : Journal of the Healthcare Financial Management Association 2012;66(4):116. A107.
- Ozmeral, Alisha Bhadelia, Kristin L. Reiter, George M. Holmes, and George H. Pink. 2012. A comparative study of financial data sources for Critical Access Hospitals: Audited financial statements, the Medicare Cost Report and the Internal Revenue Service Form 990. The Journal of Rural Health 28(4):416-24. A106.
Or Browse Archives by Type:
Please note that these papers are intended for reference use only. They may not be copied or distributed without permission of the North Carolina Rural Health Research Program. To request a hard copy (if available) of our publications, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff are also members of the Flex Monitoring Team, a consortium of three Rural Health Research Centers. Click here to view a list of those publications.