A Plasticity Approach that Recognizes Overlapping and Dynamic Scopes of Services in Team Based Models of Care
Product type: Keynote presentation to HRSA Expert Advisory Committee on Behavioral Health Workforce Modeling. Rockville MD. October 1, 2018.
Presenters: Fraher E, Knapton A, Holmes GM.
- Many workforce models aim to answer numeric question of too many or
too few health professionals
- We tried to address these issues by developing a model
that uses a “Plasticity Matrix” to map demand to supply
- We use plasticity matrix to match supply to utilization
and determine “workforce capacity” at sub state levels
- We wanted to develop a model that:
- Focused on visits needed, not physicians in shortage
- Took “capacity approach” to show how different
specialties/professions could meet demand vs silo based
- Encouraged stakeholders to use data to redesign workforce
and delivery of health care services
- Highlighted geographic disparities, not just overall supply