The MAX data are contained in a series of data files:
- The Personal Summary File contains demographic data, eligibility and enrollment information, and a utilization summary.
- The Inpatient File contains complete stay records for enrollees who use inpatient services including diagnoses, procedures, discharge status, length of stay, and payment amount.
- The Other Therapy File contains claim records for a variety of Medicaid services including physician services, lab/S-ray, clinic services, home health, and outpatient hospital institutional claims.
- The Prescription Drug File contains final action, paid drug claims.
- The Long Term Care File contains claims for institutional long term care services provided by Nursing Facilities, Intermediate Care Facilities, and independent psychiatric facilities.
- The MAX DOD Auxiliary File contains death information for Medicaid beneficiaries included in the MAX Personal Summary File. Note that the DOD file is not available for all years.
The contents of all of these files are described in detail on the ResDAC website. ResDAC, the Research Data Assistance Center, is a contractor for the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) that provides free assistance to academic, government, and non-profit researchers interested in using Medicare and/or Medicaid data for their research.